SEATS AVAILABLE: 9
The cellular network plays a major role in providing vital wireless connectivity to today’s digital equipment. However, wireless connectivity also attracts adversaries interest to carry out cybersecurity attacks. For example, owning mobile phones and connected cars via exploiting cellular baseband or attacking cellular networks via compromised a base station or mobile device. With upcoming 5G networks, there will be more devices connected with cellular connectivity and the network itself to become national critical infrastructure.
Our intermediate level training gives hands-on training on understanding the potential risks associated with cellular network connectivity. In particular, we begin with the security architecture of 3G and 4G cellular network, software/hardware tools to debug commercial networks and devices, setting up test 3G/4G network platform for communicating with commercial devices, and practical attacks against the cellular networks and devices. The training concludes with 5G security architecture and vulnerabilities with practical examples.
Key Learning Objectives
- Introduction to cellular network architecture (3G/4G/5G)
- Understanding radio access network security features
- Introduction to core network security features
- Exploring configurations of commercial cellular networks
- Debugging cellular baseband of mobile devices
- Creating test 3G/4G network lab for the exploitation
- Practical fake base station attacks and techniques
- Cellular network attack detection methods
- Hands on cellular network setup and exploitation
Who Should Attend
- Cellular network engineers and developers
- Cellular IoT security researchers and engineers
- Connected vehicle security engineers
- Network security researchers
- Government radio network authorities
- Governmental security organizations
- Security enthusiastic folks wanted to poke cellular devices and networks!
IT security background and with minimal knowledge on wireless communications in general.
Hardware / Software Requirements
- Laptop with windows/linux OS and Oracle Virtualbox (Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack) installed. (Link)
- USB3 ports and administrator rights on the laptop needed.
- 3G and 4G supported smartphone/s (Qualcomm based Android phones preferred)
- If available a USRP B210 or B200 mi
Agenda – Day 1:
- Introduction to cellular networks
- Security principles and mechanisms in cellular network
- 2G network security and weaknesses
- Security Improvements in 3G
- Debugging 2G/3G cellular devices and networks
- Exercise – Finding vulnerabilities in a test and commercial networks
Agenda – Day 2:
- 4G network architecture and security
- Hardware and software tools for security investigations
- Debugging 4G devices and network configurations
- Create test 3G/4G networks and virtual mobile devices for the exploitation
- Exercise – Set your own network and test security features
Note: Our training complies to local radio laws and regulations, as we use a special type of radio devices. For all lab experiments, we carry out network setup and attacks using special wired connectors and avoid any kind of wireless transmissions.